| Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Cookie Policy

Follow us on Twitter  Subscribe to W&P's Health and Social Care Training Forums
Health & Social Care level 2 & 3 Forum W&P Care Training Forums / Health & Social Care level 2 & 3 Forum /

ASSIGNMENT 204 SECTION C

Author MILOZIM
Forums Member
#1 | Posted: 9 Apr 2012 18:28
Help I am stuck on these questions,

1. I have listed these three factors that would make these inviduals more vunerable to abuse; Dementia, Physical and Learning Disabilities and Social Isolation however I don't know how.

2. Explain how adopting a Person centered approach which offers choices and upholds rights can enpower an individual and help reduce the likelihood of abuse.

3. Explain how encouraging and promoting active participation can help reduce the likelihood of abuse.

4. Explain how an effective and easy to use complaints procedure can help to reduce the likelihood of abuse.

Please I need to get through this
Author milly2203
Forums Member
#2 | Posted: 9 Apr 2012 19:38
Hi, some ideas: for dementia & physical/learning disabilities think about what may make someone more vulnerable to abuse e.g. being dependent on others for support, incl. personal care, communication difficulties, uninhibited behaviour, lack of knowledge or understanding about unacceptable/unsafe behaviour, lack of understanding about consequences of their actions.
If someone is socially isolated then they may not have family/friends to look out for them, they may be desperate for friends which may lead them to being taken adavantage of by potential abusers. Why are they socially isolated? The reasons may make them more vulnerable i.e. mental health issues, dependency on alcohol, drugs, being homeless, learning disability.

2. Think about what a p-c approach means, e.g. it offers choice, upholds rights & can empower an individual therefore reducing the likelihood of abuse. It ensures equality, dignity & anti-discriminatory practices, values people's strengths. The Support Plan must exist, be followed & updated as necessary, where required the Plan should highlight all info re. restraint & develop skills to ensure the individual's safety & that their environment suits their needs & wishes.

3. Again, think about what active participation means, e.g. encouraging & promoting independence, treating them as an individual, giving them opportunities to speak-up, to be heard & feel that what they have to say matters, they're active partners in the care/support they receive & not passive recipients, supported to develop skills which increases confidence & self-esteem, to be assertive, how to keep themselves safe, encouraged to make their own decisions based on informed choices, using individuals' preferred method of communication. Their Support Plan & Risk Assessments, where possible, should be developed with the individual. Service user, & their family, should be given details of Advocacy Services. S u may find it useful to receive info/training about abuse: i.e. what it is, how to recognise it, how to prevent/stop it. Re-address the power imbalance between s u & service provider.

4. This can help by: ensuring that the complaints procedure is available to all service users, if necessary, or requested in the correct format, such as Easy Read, Braille, DVD, audio disc. The s u knows who they can speak to if they have questions or need more info about the complaints procedure, who they can go to for help & advice. It demonstrates that everyone is valued as active partners in an equal relationship, a s u can get help early to minimise/stop abuse, issues are highlighted early on so action can be taken, s u is encouraged to speak-up & know that they'll be listened to, taken seriously & necessary action taken.

Hope this helps.
Health & Social Care level 2 & 3 Forum W&P Care Training Forums / Health & Social Care level 2 & 3 Forum / ASSIGNMENT 204 SECTION C
Your Reply
BB code for the Bold Style  BB code for the Italic Style  BB Code for the Picture  BB code for the URL     :) ;) :-p :-(   

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.
 Forgot password?